How emotionally mature are you?
Below you will find the criteria of emotional maturity created by Dr. William C. Menninger.
- The ability to deal constructively with reality.
- The capacity to adapt to change.
- A relative freedom from symptoms that are produced by tensions and anxieties.
- The capacity to find more satisfaction in giving than receiving.
- The capacity to relate to other people in a consistent manner with mutual satisfaction and helpfulness.
- The capacity to sublimate, to direct one’s instinctive hostile energy into creative and constructive outlets.
- The capacity to love.
-William C. Menninger, MD 1899-1966
How emotionally mature are you? Are there changes you would make to Dr. Menninger’s emotional maturity criteria? His criteria was published almost 50 years ago. Was he off track? Thoughts?